The VHI F-16 update I mentioned earlier is now live! If you already have a VHI F-16, just rez it and you’ll get the new version for free.
Here’s a list of most of the changes that were made:
- Engine sounds re-done to have a lot more steps
- Old TCS scripts removed
- Combat system upgraded to the latest version of VICE, which also supports TCS
- VVDE upgraded from 4.0 to 4.5 – this is a major overhaul
- Throttle available in steps of 5% below 40% (5, 10, 15, etc.)
- Double-tap support added for stick. Rapidly press an arrow key (or WSAD) twice to apply maximum force in that direction. Good for avoiding sim borders, the rapidly approaching ground, etc.
- VHI X-Guard, which momentarily turns the vehicle physics off during sim crossing (original idea by Francis Chung)
- X-Guard turns on above 40 knots to help prevent the usual way SL spazzes out on sim border crossing – it’s off below 40 knots. It can also be completely turned off, or forced to run at all speeds. In automatic mode it will activate even below 40 knots if it detects that the scripts are running slowly (which would indicate bad sim performance.)
- X-Guard crosses more slowly the more avatars you are carrying.
- Several control system & physics refinements
- Support for Reentrant Integration Physics version 2 (used in autogyros)
- Various code cleanups
- Several scripts were merged to take advantage of the higher memory limit now available
- A bunch of control surface scripts were removed & had their functionality implemented in other scripts to cut down on the number of total scripts
- Guest/copilot support is a bit better developed. Control can be given and taken at will during use. At this time, dual control is still not available due to this bug. (Please log in at the JIRA and vote for it!)
- A bug affecting power off glide & other physical behaviors after engine stoppage was found & squashed
- Reverse thrust up to 20% is allowed to assist in slowing descent during a steep approach to landing
- The F-16 shuts down its engine on a water landing to avoid ingesting water. It could float and operate like a seaplane before, which was a little silly.